Friday, October 4, 2013

Following Mo on my Phone




I grew up in New York, in a neighborhood that was located in the Bronx.  I was a big sports fan.   I followed all sports, but baseball was my first love.  I watched the great Yankee teams of the mid 70's and the painful Bronx Zoo teams of the early 80's.  I read magazines and baseball books.  I read the paper every day, starting with the sports section.  New York was a great place to grow up as a baseball fan.


When I got older, I had the opportunity to work in baseball, however it was for the New York Mets organization.   But that is a story for another time.  I also had the opportunity to watch the Yankees go to the playoffs every year.  From 1995 - 2007, they made the postseason and won four World Series Championships.  They missed in 2008, but won the World Series again on 2009 and made the playoff each year since until this year.   Considering the injuries, specifically to Derek Jeter and significant major components of their lineup,  they did remarkably well and came incredibly close.  A couple of games here and there they would've made the playoffs and possibly won the division.

The end the season brought to a close the careers of two great Yankees.   I had the opportunity to witness a lot of great Yankee baseball my lifetime and take attend a number of the games that they honored the team's legends.  I was in attendance when they paid tribute to Joe DiMaggio right after his death and the day they celebrated  Yogi Berra when he came back into the Yankee fold.  It was also the day the David Cone threw his Perfect Game.   The pomp and circumstance of what is Yankee baseball is truly an experience all its own.  The legends that played for the team line the walls of Hall of Fame and the team's own Monument Park.  The two men that retired at the end this year, rank among the team's best.   Andy Pettitte was one of the best left-handers to ever pitch for the team.   He holds a number of records with this remarkable team,  a remarkable post season performer, and, best of all, he was developed from the team's farm system.
 
 

Mariano Rivera was also developed in the Yankee system and became the greatest closer of all time. I had the privilege of watching his major-league debut on TV and being in attendance 60-70 games where the doors swung open, the sounds of Enter Sandman blared from the speakers and he took the mound to shut down the opponent.   He was truly remarkable, not only has a baseball player but as a human being and it was an honor to watch him play.

The reason I bring this all out is because of how I participated in his ceremony at Yankee Stadium on September 22nd. If I still lived in New York, I would have been in attendance.   However as a father of three that now lives in Jacksonville, FL, I spent those moments at The Bolles School football field watching my two sons play in their soccer league games.   So I was unable to even watch the ceremony live.  Using the technology in front of me, I used my smart phone and the DirecTV app to record anything and everything I could have been able to watch.   That would be great for later, but I wanted to feel it live.  So I logged on to Twitter and became a part of the ceremony.   

The people in the ballpark tweeted.  The news media tweeted.  Those involved in baseball who have a love and reverence for Mariano Rivera tweeted.  Not only did they tweet, but they provided pictures and video.  They provided live commentary of this amazing event going on so I was able to see the activity and feel like I was part of it.  Even though I was in Jacksonville, FL.   

Twitter, and social media in general, have become tools that are necessities to my daily activity, that of 1010XL and the daily activity of companies around the country.  It is also an important distribution vehicle for sports information to be generated.   Whether it's the news reporter tweeting out information teasing his upcoming broadcast, or an announcement of a player injury.  Whether it's commentary from people watching games and giving their analysis or  used by teams to sell tickets and merchandise.  Whether it's just for branding and marketing purposes, teams, media outlets, fans are tweeting about games and major sports activity minute by minute.

Hashtags are set up for specific games and events.  Athletes tweet their feelings and thoughts and interact with the fans.  You get raw exposure.  Real personality.  Some very funny and behind the scenes pictures. 

At 1010XL we use Twitter on a daily basis and will tweet out information about guest that are coming on the show, big stories that we put on to our website and fun observations to have our listeners respond to.  Our on air hosts have their own twitter handles and tweet throughout the day.  And the station will then retweet them and interact with them.   We also use Twitter as a marketing tool to extend the relationship we have with our partners and for them to get additional exposure through our 4000+ followers.

What is more remarkable is the amount to Twitter activity that takes place during a major sports event.  A playoff game, a championship game.   Sports Illustrated just published this list of the five most tweeted sports events of 2013.  They are:

Super Bowl - 26,131,270

NBA Finals Game 6 - 7,796,860

NCAA Final Four - 4,592,598

BCS Championship - 3,989,642

Stanley Cup Finals Game 6 - 1,075,234


yes, those numbers are in the millions...


So...are you tweeting?  Are you following me or our station?  I am @hwolpoff and the station is @1010XL. 
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment